1. It’s fun to say. Balayage is a French word that actually means to “sweep” or to “paint.” It is a highlighting technique in which the stylist applies color with gentle, sweeping strokes. Balayage color is swept across the section of hair, rather than saturating the entire section. The result is a more natural, blended look than what you get with traditional foil highlights.
2. Balayage is not just for blondes. Blonde balayage is beautiful, of course, and comes in all sorts of tones – ash, pearl, copper, and caramel, to name a few. But balayage is also a beautiful way to add rich dimension to darker hair colors. Chocolate, auburn, and burgundy highlights are gorgeous on brunettes.
3. Balayage is the absolute best in subtle beauty. It’s an au naturel approach to hair color that will make people wonder if you’ve been vacationing somewhere sunny and stylish (South of France, perhaps?). This easygoing look can work with any style, but more than anything, it evokes a free-and-easy kind of fashion. Think: sun kissed tresses and a simple sundress – true bohemian beauty!
4. Balayage is low-maintenance. Unlike foil highlights, the blended look of balayage makes your roots less noticeable, and there’s no definite demarcation line. So, instead of making a salon appointment every four to six weeks, which is what foil highlights require, you can go eight weeks or even longer (and still look lovely!).
5. Balayage is a trend that’s not going anywhere. It looks great on just about anyone, no matter the color, texture, or length of hair. Also, how and where each stylist places balayage highlights differs greatly, which means that the balayage look is highly personalized. No two balayages are the same!
The stylists at 140 Salon & Dry Bar love balayage. Call today for a color consult, and let us add some rich, luminous dimension to your hair!